Announcements and Updates
Texas Homeowner Assistance continues to review and update the program to better serve homeowners facing continued financial hardship associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. All changes will be posted here and in the program’s policy manual.
If you have questions, please contact our call center toll-free at 1-833-651-3874, Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Utility Payments Program
Sept. 29, 2022
Eligible homeowners can get help paying past-due bills PLUS up to three (3) months of future payments for electricity, natural gas, propane, water and wastewater services. If approved, payment will be made directly to the utility vendors in the form of one lump sum.
To qualify for utility payments, you must meet all of the original TXHAF program criteria AND:
- You must have a past-due utility bill dated within the last 45 days.
- You must own the residence at the address listed on the past-due utility bill.
- The total for your past-due utilities and three months of future payments is less than or equal to $10,000.
- You have not previously received assistance for the utility type you are not requesting assistance for.
- Log into your existing account
- Navigate to the Case page in the Application portal
- Click the “Add New Case” link
Utility payments are included in the overall household assistance cap of $65,000.
Future Mortgage Payments Program
Aug. 23, 2022
In addition to assistance for past-due home loans, eligible homeowners can now also get up to three (3) months of future mortgage payments.
To qualify for future mortgage payments, you must meet all of the original TXHAF mortgage assistance program criteria AND EITHER:
- Have a monthly mortgage payment to monthly household income ratio (sometimes referred to as debt-to-income “HDTI” or “Front-End DTI”) of 0% or above 55%; OR
- Have a ratio of monthly mortgage payments exceeds 31% but is at or below 55% and the homeowner states that they cannot afford to continue their monthly mortgage payments.
If you have a pending application for mortgage assistance:
- If your household qualifies, TXHAF will confirm your loan details and final eligibility with your loan servicer.
- If your application is approved, TXHAF will send a payment to your loan servicer for all past-due mortgage payments AND up to three (3) future monthly mortgage payments.
- You will receive an email letting you know whether your application was approved or denied.
Future mortgage payments are included in the overall household assistance cap of $65,000.
Page Last Updated: September 29, 2022